Thursday 23 December 2010

NGD: ISP Decimator

New Gear Day: The ISP Decimator

Hey there!

I had a new pedal arrive today, the chromalicious ISP Decimator, normally retails for £150+, an expensive stompbox, for what it does though, I can see why...

Now, me being the crafty bugger I am, I got it for the fantastic price of £99 on the dot, with free next day delivery, though with the pitiful sprinkling of snow the country has had, it only arrived today, opposed to Tuesday, now onto what the actual thing itself does! It's a noise gate, and a damn good one at that, one of the best I've ever encountered, it's built like a tank, and it weighs quite a lot for a little stomp box, the main reason I brought it, was well, I use alot of distortion for my lead tone nowadays, and that causes alot of unwanted feedback and noise, and I needed something to cut that out, without having to turn my effects off mid song, sure, it might sound like a mild inconvenience to you, however, I'd end up tap-dancing like Bruce Forsyth...

As fun as that sounds, It really isn't...
 
 
Now when I first plugged the thing in, I was kinda doubtful, because it took alot of tweaking, but as soon as I hit the sweet spot, the sound I desired was right there, a dab of reverb & delay and I've got a cracking solo tone, and not only that, the Behringer Leslie Cabinet Simulator is back on the board too now, and I'll be honest, I've rekindled my love for my Vox AC30, because a couple of months ago I was having a case of 'Don't meet your heroes', because this amp to me was the kind of thing that crafted the tones we use now, an icon in the classic rock world, and well, I was starting to find that I couldn't get the right tone out of the thing, which made me sad for a while, but today, tweaking with all these effects, it's back up there, maybe with the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier contesting it, but I don't have £3k to spare...

Honestly though, the ISP Decimator is one of those tools that should be in any guitarists arsenal, especially those that play with high gain, it's a godsend when you want to roll back the volume knob and do some softer playing without having your amp squeal at you, expensive, is what I thought at first, but I see why, it's well worth the wonga, most definitely, because when you're playing live, the last thing you want to do is make peoples ears bleed, without even doing a thing. Now there's still plenty of room on the 2nd pedalboard next to the DL4 & Electric Mistress, so who knows what might come next...

How could I resist a tool I could make use of called "THE DECIMATOR", also, how nifty is that image of the pedal at the top? awesome isn't it, I took that on my iPhone, with this new camera app I purchased called "Hipstamatic" which simulates an old film & lens based camera, adds frame, and corresponding effects, and makes sure all you have to do is take a photo, and it does some superb work with the simplest of shots, as you can see!

Just a shorty this time around!
Stay Cool!

Your guitar slinging pal!
Luke Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment